So, this year I’m going to resurrect this blog to talk about writing, directing, and the projects I’m working on outside of my day job. Planning out what I want to achieve each week and talking about it on here will theoretically shame me into keeping it up. If I don’t, please fling your poop at me.
Without further blathering, here’s some stuff I want to do this year:
- Set aside Sunday afternoons to figure out exactly what I need to get done the following week, and also to catch up on anything I didn’t get around to, like clean underwear.
- Continue getting to office early to do personal stuff, but be more vigilant about how many days a week that happens. “My cat wanted to sleep in” no longer legit excuse. Even if she does.
- Feature films: New draft of FINE FEATHERS, newish draft of GASH PALACE (current work in progress), first draft of THE LACTATING (co-written with Alwyn Dale) and work on a mystery (aka. as yet untitled) film which will need a scene-by-scene before I can do any more.
- Theatre: Continue polishing THE ROBOT MONOLOGUES with Alwyn for Fringe, get on top of whatever 2015’s script is heeeeeeaps earlier, lament about the fact I'm already thinking about 2015 and I will be 27 that year holy shit.
- Blog: One a week on Sundays to whip myself into realising I should probably try a little harder the following week, and that it might be time to quit playing Simpsons Tapped Out.
- New idea generation: At least 3 loglines/new ideas a week, to be shoved in these blogs so I have a nice record of where my head is at.
DIRECTING / MAKING FILMZ !
- This is the big one for me, as my focus the last few years has been pretty heavily on writing. This is the year I force myself to get my head around some of the film stuff that scares me. I will conquer you, lens selection / the line / screen direction. Watch the fuck out. I am coming at you.
- Not spending all of our meeting time writing funding proposals and making stuff instead: This year we (Squidwig Productions, aka. me and Alwyn and our buddies) intend to make a couple of short films. They will likely be self-funded/fundraised for. They will also be acceptable levels of the usual Squidwig weird stuff.
CONSUME GOOD STUFF!
- Read things I want to read.
- Read things I can’t be bothered but really should read.
- Read lotsa scripts.
- Watch lotsa everything.
BE LESS SHIT AT LOOKING AFTER MYSELF!
- Cut MSG out as one of my main food groups and cook some stuff in colours other than beige.
- Continue going to the gym and hogging the back corner of classes so nobody is watching me from behind.
- Do I really need to take the bus to work as much as I am? No. Time to download some audiobooks, and pretend that runners and jeans look awesome.
- Take a night off every now and then and get some good sleepz, for goodness sake.
So, that’s the year plan, which looks completely unachievable if I think about it in terms of A Whole Year, but much more manageable in terms of Let's Take This Shit One Week At A Time And See What Happens.